Simplify Your Hiring Process
While COVID-19 has upended the job market, companies are having more difficulty than ever finding qualified long-term applicants. A simplified yet strategic hiring process can help.
Ninja Gig has compiled created a step-by-step guide to help HR departments navigate this daunting process.
Step 1: Identify the Need
Make sure you need the position. Create a clear list of responsibilities and tasks for the job, including skills and requirements that are essential and preferable. This first step is also the opportunity to determine:
- Is the role part-time or full-time?
- The number of hours per week.
- Is the position is best outsourced or remote?
- How much revenue should this job offer?
Step 2: Budget for Advertising
Hiring can be expensive. It’s best to set limits upfront and determine the best online job posting tactics. Online job boards can range from $25 per post to upwards of $5,000 per month. That’s why Ninja Gig has focused on developing an all-inclusive applicant tracking system with a low, flat-rate fee for unlimited job applications online. If you’re using online recruitment for an executive position, recruiting agencies can cost an average of $20,000, depending on the volume and industry. You may also have employee referral bonuses or incentives, travel expenses and paid test projects. Remember to factor everything into your overall budget.
Step 3: Plan
Companies must have a comprehensive idea of what the job entails before posting online and interviewing candidates. Sit down with management and review the following:
- Hiring timeline
- Hiring team members
- Candidate screening criteria
- Interview questions
- Follow up and survey with candidates
Step 4: Job Description
Job descriptions serve double-duty, as they can attract qualified candidates and serve as a guide for job hires’ duties. A great job description includes:
- Opportunities for learning and professional growth
- Timelines for candidates accomplishments within the first six months and their first year
- Consider replacing the traditional responsibilities section with an impact section
- Includes who the position reports to and if they interact with customers
- List annual meetings or other company-related activities
Step 5: Promoting Jobs
Once you’ve got your job description in hand, you’re ready to promote it online. We recommend that when you sign up for Ninja Gig, you create a website portal with your custom URL. You can then use this to link on your company website, specialty job boards, social media channels, job fairs and industry publications. Remember, the added benefit of Ninja Gig is that we push your job posting to other job posting sites, such as Indeed, Zip Recruiter, Google Jobs, and more. To learn more about employee referrals, see our latest article, Ninja Gig Explores the Best Source for Qualified Applicants.
Step 6: Screen Applicants
There are several parts to screening applicants. Initially, we recommend a quick video chat or phone call to learn more about them. Here are some tips for this screening phase:
- Have the candidates share some of their life stories.
- Ask them to discuss past experiences in detail.
- Make sure they meet the job criteria by asking specific job-related questions.
- Ask candidates if they have any questions.
Some employers have paid test projects or personality tests to narrow down the applicant pool after the initial screening.
Once you have narrowed down the applicant pool, you can work towards in-depth interviews, which are usually conducted in person. If the position is remote, schedule a longer video interview.
Step 7: Background, Reference Checks, Offer
Once you’ve decided on an applicant, make sure to conduct any necessary background and reference checks before extending a written job offer. Learn more about what should be included in a job offer.
Sign up today for a FREE TRIAL and see how Ninja Gig can help transform your online recruitment process.