Position: Part-Time/Seasonal, June through August of 2018
Salary: $8.00 - $10.00 per hour
Hours: 25-30 hours per week
The Parks and Recreation (P&R) Department Camp Counselor will assist in coordinating and implementing summer camp programs by supervising participants and activities and ensuring a safe and fun environment for all participants.
Duties and Responsibilities
These duties and responsibilities are not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the Town.
• Works a non-traditional work schedule dependent on the hours of the camps.
• Assists in coordinating and implementing participant activities.
• Assists in supervising campers during activities such as swimming, playing games, creating arts and crafts, and participating in general recreation opportunities.
• Assists in chaperoning field trips.
• Engages with children in indoor and outdoor activities including swimming, arts and crafts, and games.
• Assists in maintaining and cleaning facilities and areas utilized by campers, including picking up trash, cleaning spills, cleaning tables, sweeping, and mopping floors.
• Maintains inventory of needed supplies, and sends requests to Recreation Program Coordinator.
• Greets parents/guardians and participants in a professional manner.
• Enforces facility regulations and policies, as well as camp regulations and policies.
• Ensures an environment of safety for all participants.
• Sends reports of accidents or damages to the Children’s Programs Coordinator.
• Maintains a clean work environment at all times.
• Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Education and Experience
High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) and the ability to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job such as those listed above. Swimming experience and/or the ability to swim confidently in a swimming pool is also preferred.
Licenses and Professional Certifications
• NC Driver License
• Bloodborne Pathogens (BBP) and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)/Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Certifications (preferred)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of recreational activities and camps; standard safety practices; procedures and equipment related to recreational activities; general cleaning techniques related to area of assignment; and safe handling and storage of cleaning materials.
Skilled in assisting with planning, organizing, leading and monitoring the activities of children; meeting the physical demands of the job; understanding and carrying out oral and written instructions; using a computer and related software applications; and communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
Ability to represent the Town in a professional and respectful manner while interacting with a diverse set of individuals within the workplace and the community.
Employee is subject to inside environmental conditions having the lighting, temperature, and noise of a classroom environment. The employee is also exposed to outdoor conditions and may be exposed to weather elements including rain, wind, varying temperatures, etc.
Work requires prolonged standing, walking long distances, hiking, running, reaching, bending, twisting, stooping, crouching, kneeling, crawling, lifting, carrying and/or moving equipment, pushing and pulling various objects, climbing steps and ladders, and operating assigned equipment. Employee must be able to perform medium work exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally; and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently; and/or up to 25 pounds of force constantly to move objects. A minimal portion of work is performed within an office environment and may include the operation of a computer. The employee must read and write, and interact with others in person, over the phone, and via other devices.
Located in North Carolina between Wilmington and Jacksonville, and encompassing a portion of Topsail Island, the Town of Surf City possesses all of the features of a friendly and progressive community that maintains a strong focus on proactive citizen involvement. Surf City takes great pride in the safe and family-oriented environment that it creates, and the Town government works diligently to provide superior services for each of our citizens and visitors.
The Town of Surf City is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy. The Town of Surf City is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce, and complies with all Federal and North Carolina State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action.