Spring has officially sprung and it’s time to spring clean your office or workspace – and we’re not talking about necessarily breaking out the cleaning supplies. Looking at any kind of big job may seem daunting, but spring cleaning an office is well worth your time and may just end up in extra productivity and money in your pocket.
Here are five steps to get your office in tip-top shape:
- Look at your paperwork. Is it filed? Is it hard to find? When it’s time for taxes, do you scramble around looking for receipts, mileage logs and other necessary information? If so, it’s time to really dig in there and get this part of your business organized. Having a good filing system, whether paper or digital, is key to the smooth operation of your business. Get rid of the old, haphazard way of doing things and really get organized this year.
- Alphabetize. When looking at your organizing and filing, alphabetize everything. Instead of filing based on topic, or category, go back to the old-fashioned way of filing and organize them based on alphabetical order. This way, you won’t have to scramble to find that missing file.
- Spring clean those expenses. Take a long, hard look at each and every expense. Are you really saving money by getting your break room supplies at your local grocery store? Could you save money by ordering them from an office supply store, or an online retailer? Are you really saving money at a member’s only store like Costco or Sam’s Club? Do some legwork and run some cost-comparisons – if you save a few dollars per month on supplies, it will add up over time.
- Clean up how you spend your time. Just as you need to take a long, hard look at your expenses, it would be a good idea to take a long look at how you spend your time each day. Be an analyst of your own time. Are you spending time on activities that aren’t profitable? Are you spending time reading industry magazines that don’t benefit your business? By taking a fine-toothed comb through your day, you will see patterns that can be improved and ways you can tighten up your workday.
- Clean your space! Having a neat, tidy space is key to having a successful business. Spring cleaning an office not only is pleasant for your clients as they walk into a clean space, but it helps employees feel refreshed and ready to work hard. Look into getting your space professionally cleaned a few times a year (or do it yourself). Really get into those nooks and crannies, clean keyboards, dust blinds and get your office in great shape physically; it will pay dividends in more ways than one.
In addition to these tips, Ninja Gig can help you spring clean your application process and cut out unneedful paper applications thus saving you time and money by getting more qualified applicants to you faster! Start your spring cleaning process now by trying Ninja Gig for free for 14 days!