Direct Support Professional
POSITION SUMMARY: Assist the Community Living Managers in the supervision and training of residents and in the operation of the alternate living unit (ALU).
QUALIFICATIONS: Minimum high school diploma; experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities preferred; excellent driving record, ability to lift 50lbs or more regularly.
1. Knows and complies with all required policies, procedures, regulations and guidelines of Target and has a clear understanding of the specific regulations used in his/her department. Is in compliance with the regulations and guidelines when carrying out duties and responsibilities.
2. Successfully completes all required in-service trainings and completes re-certifications as required; demonstrates a clear understanding of the issues presented in trainings; is eager to expand knowledge; keeps current with relevant changes and takes appropriate steps to obtain needed information.
3. Performs duties in accordance with the philosophy, mission and goals of the agency.
4. Works cooperatively and professionally with supervisors, co workers and guests; demonstrates tact and diplomacy, is supportive, respectful and cooperative; and works well as part of a team.
5. Regarding efficiency and effectiveness, takes appropriate action based on circumstances; provides pertinent and comprehensive information to supervisory personnel.
6. Regarding punctuality and dependability, demonstrates the ability to manage personal time by being punctual and gives sufficient notice to immediate supervisor in case of tardiness or absenteeism.
7. Acts as an appropriate role model for the clients. Chooses appropriate personal attire based on the circumstances. Maintains appropriate overall appearance and demonstrates proper personal hygiene.
8. Regarding educational status/goal setting--Is actively attending classes, workshops, etc. to improve work skills.
B. ESSENTIAL DIRECT CARE RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assist the Community Living Managers in providing direct services and training to residents, or provide substitute coverage.
a) Assist residents in their daily personal care and grooming, including care of body, hair, teeth and clothing, etc.
b) Assist residents in the development of leisure-time activities and recreation by participating in these activities. Leisure and recreation should be and are done outside of what is on the Individual Program Plan (IPP).
c) Assist counselors in implementing behavior and Activities of Daily Living (ADL) Programs.
d) Maintain a family-type atmosphere for residents.
e) Assist residents in maintaining contact with family and friends through use of telephone and/or mail.
f) Encourage residents to share their experiences in the day program with other residents and staff.
g) Assist Community Living Managers with making of medical, dental, and psychological appointments, and other special services available to residents.
2. Maintain close contact with house staff to assure a unified, consistent training program for residents.
3. Assist with the maintenance of the residence by following the schedule of daily chores, the training of clean-up skills, and other tasks needed to provide a safe and pleasant environment for residents.
4. Be able to communicate instructions and directions to the clients in a manner that is easily understandable. This requires fluency in speaking the primary language of the clients.
5. Position requires regularly lifting or supporting 50 or more pounds. Also, when required, must be physically able to restrain a behavioral client.
6. Demonstrate a willingness to perform essential job functions and duties with the safety of the clients and self being a top priority, and adhere to and comply with all safety guidelines taught in trainings.
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES: Other duties as assigned by Community Living Managers and Residential Directors.
SUPERVISION: This position supervised by Community Living Managers and Residential Director
SALARY: Starting salary ranges from $22.00 - $24.00 per hour.
Thank you for your interest in employment with our agency.
Target Community & Educational Services, Inc. is dedicated to enhancing the lives of children and adults with disabilities through quality, community-based residential, educational, vocational, recreational and family support services.
Target Community & Educational Services, Inc. is proud to be 100% smoke and tobacco free at all of our sites.
If your application meets our hiring needs, someone will contact you via email or phone typically within 48 hours. Thank you!