Many companies have a versatile structure that allows people to telecommute and work from home, especially in today’s pandemic age. This can be a win-win situation, especially if you live far from the office or have children to care for at home.
Maximize Work From Home
Here are five quick tips on how to maximize your working from home experience:
1. Set aside your workspace. First and foremost, it needs to be a space where you can’t view the unfolded laundry pile, the TV shows that your kids have on or any other projects you have to do at home.
If you don’t have a separate room to work in, invest in a room divider or a screen to separate your work area from your home area. Then, establish this place strictly for work. Your kids and/or spouse need to know that when you’re in your space, then you are working and are not to be disturbed unless there is a fire or emergency greater than, say, a paper cut.
2. Make a Schedule and Stick to It! Time-blocking your day is a great way to let everyone around you know when you’ll be in your work from home mode. If the kids know you’ll be working at certain times, they will get into that same routine.
If your friends are aware that you work between the hours of 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m., they will learn not to text or call you during that time, especially if you are strict with your work hours and don’t answer the calls or texts until you are done working.
3. Make a Non-Negotiable To-Do List.Make a list that you WILL get done before taking the kids to the park, run errands, do the breakfast dishes or whatever else is on your home to-do list.
If you make a doable list and prioritize it, chances are you will accomplish it faster than you thought possible.
4. Set Regular Meetings with Real People. Stay in touch with your boss, your co-workers and other people vital to your success with regular face-to-face meetings or video conferences, if possible. People who telecommute often comment that they lose touch with the company’s goals and mission without regular (even just monthly) face-to-face meetings.
In the digital world we live in, it’s a lot easier not to make time to meet with real people, but in reality, these meetings are crucial to success and keep you connected to people that are vital to your job.
5. Have a Little Fun. Working from home without the usual office banter and drama can get a little drab at times. Make sure you shake up your day a bit.
Grab lunch with a colleague, dance around the room with your kids during a 15-minute break from work, walk around the block when you need a breather – anything to keep you from being stagnant and stifling your creative juices!
Read more helpful work from home tips.
Ninja Gig’s job portal software is among the best job posting sites for employers. Whether you need to post a job for free online or advertise a job on different job boards, Ninja Gig has you covered. Our robust software lets you post an unlimited number of jobs, and then it will automatically syndicate these on other major job boards, such as job posting on Indeed, Ziprecruiter and more. Once you gain online applicants, you can track job applicants in the Applicant Tracking System (ATS). Interested in seeing how Ninja Gig can help transform your online recruitment process? Sign up today for a free 14-day trial!