Are you dusting up on your interviewing and hiring skills as we near post-pandemic? Hiring employees is a tough part of any human resources job. The right employee can take a business to the top, while the wrong employee can wreak havoc by creating a negative work environment.
Tips For Hiring Employees
While you can’t please everyone in your company, you can integrate these tips for hiring the right employee.
- Interview candidates that are committed to their careers. If you find a candidate that is committed to their career, this is an excellent sign. You don’t want to hire people that regularly switch careers or jobs often. If a candidate is not loyal to their career or past companies, this could be a warning flag. Always check references, candidates’ previous job titles and the length of time they stayed at each company. If they have a history of regularly switching jobs, they may not be the right fit for your company.
- Always check compatibility. Just as important, you need to have the right employee skill set that fits in with your company’s culture. Excellent candidates should have the necessary social skills to get along with other employees and managers. Consider asking candidates to judge their compatibility skills when it comes to working with employees and clients. If an applicant openly expresses the inability to get along with others, current clients or even previous bosses, these are warning signs that he/she may not be a good fit for your organization.
- Test for learning and analytical skills. Using different methods to assess learning and analytical skills for candidates is a superb idea. While it is tricky to test candidates, don’t only evaluate them based on their resume, as these can be lined with falsehoods. A candidate should have confidence, the right skill set and the necessary educational or on-the-job work experience to be successful at the position.
- Continually improve your hiring process. A hiring process is never perfect or foolproof. Always strive to improve your hiring process, which will help you hire the best, brightest and most talented candidates for your company. Incorporate these tips:
- Avoid asking irrelevant questions. To maximize the interview, focus on questions that highlight the candidates’ knowledge, capabilities, skills, attitude and confidence.
- Put the right information in job advertisements. When advertising job vacancies, make sure that all necessary job requirements are included in the description. This includes job responsibilities, necessary education, experience, skills and knowledge. This will help evaluate candidates that are more qualified and help attract applicants that will fulfill the requirements.
- Embrace social media for hiring candidates. More companies are using social media for recruiting. This includes using platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. 45 percent of Fortune 500 firms use social media to advertise their job openings.
Ninja Gig offers employment applications, which makes it easy to link social media job listings to online applications. Sign up today for a 14-day free trial. Ninja Gig can help simplify your hiring process today!