Whether you’re hiring onsite or remote employees, hiring the right employee can be challenging. Hiring the wrong employee can be costly, time-consuming and contribute to a negative work environment.
Ninja Gig has compiled the top 10 things HR departments can do to hire the right employee for your organization.
- Define the job before hiring an employee. No one wants to interview for a job that isn’t defined. Lack of structure and organization means you could be turning away rockstar employees that see you as unorganized.
- Have an employee recruiting strategy in place. Meet with the hiring manager and teams to help define the role before interviewing applicants.
- Checklists for new hires. Streamline the hiring process by having a list that keeps everyone organized and on the same page.
- Recruit the right candidates. Develop long-term relationships with potential candidates so that if employment opportunities arise, you can quickly recruit from a large pool.
- Review applications and credentials. Have a well-written job description and screen all applicants for the skills, qualifications, experience and characteristics your company needs to fill the role.
- Prescreen all candidates. Candidates may look good on paper, but prescreening over the phone will help identify if their qualifications are a good fit. Prescreen for salary expectations too.
- Ask insightful job interview questions. Put together a list of interview questions that can help separate great candidates from below average.
- Always check backgrounds and references. Verify that the applicant has excellent credentials, skills and the necessary experience to succeed. Background checks should include work references, employment references, criminal history and educational credentials.
- Factor in considerations. The person you choose should complement the team and bring new skills to the table.
- Extending a job offer. Send a job letter that specifies salary, conditions of their hire and any verbal agreements about benefits.
Interested in learning more how to hire the right employee? Head over to the U. S. Chamber of Commerce and read this article.
Ninja Gig is an applicant tracking system for online recruitment. The software is easy-to-use and makes it simple to create a legally compliant job posting. Additionally, Ninja Gig’s advanced applicant tracking system software makes it easy for HR departments to track job applicants and identify the most qualified candidates. Sign up today for a free trial and try Ninja Gig’s automated online job posting software.