Registered Nurse Job Description
A Registered Nurse (RN) works independently of supervision, providing complete patient care while following physicians’ orders and adhering to nursing practice standards. The RN makes observations, evaluations, and thoroughly documents information, especially changes in condition, to ensure efficient patient care. Knowledge of patient’s age and cultural diversity is taken into account with administration of care. The RN possesses a distinct body of knowledge. This knowledge is obtained through educational and professional experience and is utilized in the delivery of care to patients.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Reports to the nursing supervisor and/or physician.
2. Performs nursing care using sound judgment.
3. Transcribes and implements all physician orders in a safe and accurate manner.
4. Assists with admitting, discharging and transferring patients.
5. Maintains detailed and accurate records of nursing actions.
6. Participates in health/therapeutic counseling, teaching, and emotional support for patients and their significant others.
7. Adapts to the needs of the team by demonstrating flexibility/adaptability.
8. Maintains a safe and clean environment for patients and co-workers.
9. Receives report on patient’s status from CRNA post procedure.
10. Monitors patient’s vital signs pre- and post-operative to ensure hemodynamic stability.
11. Records appropriate information on the patient’s chart (PACU record) and reports any abnormal vital signs to the physician.
12. Ensures adequate fluids and p.o. intake and absence of nausea prior to discharge.
13. Administers verbal and written discharge instructions to the patient and significant other or family member.
14. Ensures physician has evaluated and cleared patient for discharge.
15. Assists patient to vehicle upon discharge along with family member or significant other.
16. Administers medications and therapies within the scope of safe nursing practice.
17. Maintains a high level of safety and strict control of narcotics and medications.
18. Assumes responsibility to report clinical limitations or the need for assistance to the supervisor or physician.
19. Initiates emergency intervention procedures to offset life threatening situations.
20. Performs all other duties as assigned by the nursing supervisor or physician.
21. Adheres to the policies and procedures of Coastal and assigned facility.
To perform this job successfully, the RN must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensure, etc. required.
1. Current licensure in the state of practice as a Registered Nurse; verified via Primary Source Verification.
2. Current CPR and ACLS certification.
3. Minimum of 2 years current clinical experience.
4. Thorough knowledge of and ability to implement principles of aseptic technique.
5. Knowledge of surgical procedures, techniques and consequent nursing interventions.
6. Recognize emergency situations and assist in corrective action.
7. Knowledge of policies, procedures, and goals of office/work site.
8. Recognize and report hazardous equipment.
9. Documentation of current immunization or proof of immunity (titers).
10. Successful completion of appropriate skills tests.
11. Successful completion of credentialing/certification process by QA.
1. Position requires sitting and standing and RN must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
2. Position requires walking and the need to occasionally move about the office/work space to access files, office machinery, patient areas, etc., and care of the patients 75% of the time.
3. Position may require stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling under 25% of the time.
4. Position requires use of hand/fingers to handle or feel greater than 50% of the time and ability to reach with hands and arms at least 50% of the time.
5. The person in this position must have adequate vision and hearing in order to communicate effectively and exchange accurate information at least 75% of the time.
6. The position requires lifting of 10 lbs or greater.
1. The position requires exposure to moderate noise (i.e., computers, office and medical equipment, people, light traffic).
2. This position requires exposure to bloodborne pathogens that require use of personal protective equipment.
This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions. It does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned thus the job description is subject to change at any time.
Coastal Healthcare is an established Healthcare Staffing Firm, servicing facilities since 1993. Coastal favors hard working healthcare professionals who strive for excellence in patient care. We are proud of the extraordinary group of healthcare professionals we have today and would like to offer you the opportunity to join our team. We are seeking Physicians, Nurses, and Allied Health Professionals who are comfortable working travel contracts and/or short term assignments. We pride ourselves in on boarding team members who are experienced and strong in their chosen specialty. Qualified candidates would be strong, independent professionals with 2+ years of experience for a variety of needs.