Who: You have a heart for working with young people. You have significant experience working with horses. You are positive, encouraging and optimistic. You want to help young people heal and gain confidence through the equine program.
What: Horsemanship Assistant will:
• Help clients to learn to be safe around horses, and understand what is safe and unsafe.
• Assist with communication games with the clients and horses.
• Assist with individual or small group instruction for clients.
• Assist Equine Specialist in care and upkeep of the animals and animal facilities, including feeding horses, turnouts and/or returning to stalls from pasture.
• Assist Equine Specialist in saddling of horses, moving horses to arena, and setting up horsemanship activities for clients.
• Assist with leading and riding of horses.
• Assist with instruction in mounting, dismounting, and developing rapport on the ground with the horses and clients.
• Work with ES to clean up arena post activity and return horses to stall/pasture.
Why: Working with horses has been a proven method of emotional recovery and one of the most unique services offered by Idaho Youth Ranch.
When: During horsemanship classes, as scheduled by our Equine Specialist. Typically Sundays, starting mid to late May.
How: In order to volunteer for this opportunity, you will need to:
• Be at least 21 years old.
• Submit application
• Submit to a criminal background check
• Submit to a CHU background check
• Submit to a TB screen
• Submit to a Drug/Alcohol screen
• Complete interview
• Comply with all Idaho Youth Ranch Volunteer Policies and Procedures
Idaho Youth Ranch is a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping vulnerable, at-risk kids transform the pain and despair of childhood trauma into hope for a promising future.