As the Equine/Livestock Specialist you will be primarily responsible for the coordination, care and use of horses at the Mica Stables for use in Idaho Youth Ranch and EAGALA-related treatment and activities on an on-call basis. You will be part of the IYR & Mica Foundation team that provides a range of equine related therapeutic and activity-based interventions for IYR clients and community partners. You will assist IYR Therapists in the implementation of the EAGALA model for clients and community partners, and deliver equine related activities (non-EAGALA) to community partners with the assistance of Mica and/or IYR personnel as needed.
• Coordinates all IYR related equine activities at Mica. Schedules appointments, communicates with community groups and other IYR personnel. Makes sure activities go according to purpose and schedule.
• Participates in equine therapy in collaboration with other IYR personnel.
• Conducts equine-related activities for individuals and groups.
• Cares for and oversees the upkeep of the Mica Foundation horses.
• Assists in ensuring arena and animal areas are maintained at all times.
• Maintains horse equipment to ensure safety.
• Makes sure all updates, logs notes, and other documentation are completed as outlined.
• Actively promotes a safe work environment.
• Attends and actively participates in EAGALA Network Meetings, weekly team meetings and other meetings/trainings as required.
• Bachelor’s degree in in Human Services or Equine Science preferred
• EAGALA equine therapy certification (or obtain within 9 months of employment)
• Experience working with youth
• Minimum of three years working with equine/livestock
• Current certifications in first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), non-violent crisis intervention (or obtain within 90 days of hire)
• Valid Idaho driver’s license (or obtain within 15 days of hire)
• At least 21 years of age
• Proficiency in use of computers
You’ve got passion. You want to make a difference and have a soft spot for kids. You get excited about the possibility of having a real impact and working closely with a committed team to create something transformative. You see what’s possible and don’t let obstacles deter you. You like to get focused on a vision and work diligently to achieve it. Your passion is evident in your interactions. You like to have fun.
You like a challenge and enjoy a dynamic environment. You’re okay with being the go-to person for problems, challenges and opportunities. You like to be the master of your environment and learn a system inside and out so you can make the most of your experience.
You’re a pro. You have a high personal standard of excellence, a strong work ethic and commitment to mission. You’re looking for a new opportunity to leverage and grow your skills, to make a unique contribution to a team effort – to stretch your knowledge, skills and character. You have an innate ability to recognize shifting priorities and adjust accordingly. You understand the power of relationships, the value of persistence, the reward of professionalism, the fun of discovery and the inevitability of change. You’re respected by your peers and can get results where others struggle. Integrity isn’t something you have, it’s who you are.
The Idaho Youth Ranch is one of the oldest non-profit agencies in the state of Idaho. We save, empower and prepare kids for promising futures.
The Idaho Youth Ranch has a competitive Total Compensation Package including: medical plan, dental, vision, retirement plan and other optional benefits. If you want to make a difference in a child’s life, apply today.
For more information regarding this position and our benefits visit our website at: www.youthranch.org
The Idaho Youth Ranch is a non-profit 501(c)(3) agency that offers emergency shelter, residential care, youth and family therapy, job readiness training, adoption services, and more for at-risk kids and their families.