About Merit Advisors
Tired of the typical public accounting experience? Merit Advisors’ business model is centered on building a strong team and developing long-term relationships with our clients. Despite our growth over the past 20+ years, Merit is proud to retain the key characteristics of a boutique firm.
Merit Advisors is a state and local tax consulting firm that works with companies of all sizes, start-ups to multinational to help them minimize tax exposure, maximize tax recovery and capitalize on economic incentives.
Merit takes a holistic approach to every engagement, providing top-tier expertise in each of our practice areas: Property Tax, Sales & Use Tax, Credits & Incentives, Severance Tax, Appraisal & Valuation
In addition to maintaining our client relationships, we are committed to maintaining our very strong culture. Every firm preaches work/life balance, but we will actively work with you to balance client delivery, career development, and your life outside of the office.
Title: Manager - Property Tax
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Area of Practice:
- Business Personal Property – Evaluating the physical, economic and functional characteristics of the clients’ property as well as taxability and exemption opportunities
- Real Property – Establishing fair valuations through comparisons with similar properties in the area, detailed appraisals and comprehensive review
- Complex Industrial Property – Analyzing the clients’ facilities from the real property all the way down to the equipment level
As a Manager in the Property Tax consulting practice, you will be integral in managing all aspects of the annual property tax cycle including attending hearings, settlement conferences and value negotiations.
- Rendition filing with state and local tax offices
- Analysis of preliminary appraisal and value negotiation
- Representation in protest hearings
- Processing of statements for payment
- Computation and projection of monthly tax estimates
- Diligence review for Acquisitions & Divestitures
- Tax planning and optimization
- Consulting for specialized projects
What you will do:
• Perform detail reviews of asset data and supporting documentation for determining proper valuations for purposes of quantifying tax assessments
• Review and manage client contract terms, scope of services and fees. Oversee client billing and ensures timely collection of receivables
• Manipulate and analyze raw data from various accounting and reporting systems
• Proactively secure tax abatements and exemptions
• Address complexities and issues that arise from client operations
• Manage the preparation, review and processing of tax documents for clients
• Maintain direct contact with clients and various appraisal districts
• Continuously develop tax expertise, analytical capabilities, and soft skills
What you need to succeed:
• Bachelor degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Information Technology, or Business with at least four years of related property tax experience.
• TDLR license or equivalent RPA is preferred
• Technically proficient in personal property valuation; Real Estate valuation a plus
• Experience in the energy industry is a plus, but not required.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
• Possess a fundamental understanding of state tax laws and regulations.
• Demonstrate excellent organizational skills and strong self-motivation. Must be able to work effectively with little day-to-day direction/supervision.
• Able to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects, activities and deadlines.
• Able to use personal computer software proficiently, including spreadsheets, database, word processing and presentation software. Deep experience working with Excel or Access, PowerPoint preferred.
• Able cultivate client relationships and work effectively in a team environment.
• Able to demonstrate and apply superior analytical ability and technical expertise with an ability to provide insightful analysis.
• Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills, strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly, effectively and persuasively.
• Able to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; make effective decisions, identify underlying or hidden problems and patterns and apply creativity and innovative thinking.
• Able to anticipate new situations and/or changing demands and respond proactively.
• Work independently and demonstrates initiative to accomplish goals.
• Some travel out of town, overnight for internal or client meetings and/or conferences
• Able to produce quality work in a fast paced environment with high daily pressure to meet deadlines.
• Able to work irregular hours and overtime as needed or required to meet established deadlines.
Over 350 + clients range from publicly traded corporations to individual small business owners and are serviced by a team that combines engineers, appraisal and valuation experts and seasoned tax and consulting professionals that bring together the perfect balance of high quality and diverse solutions of a larger firm while not foregoing the "high level touch" customer service of a smaller firm.