Associate Consultant – Real Estate Property Tax
Title: Associate Consultant – Real Estate, Property Tax
Location: Gainesville, TX
Area of Practice:
- Real Property – Establishing fair valuations through comparisons with similar properties in the area, detailed appraisals and comprehensive review
- Complex Industrial Property – Analyzing the clients’ facilities from the real property all the way down to the equipment level
- Business Personal Property – Evaluating the physical, economic and functional characteristics of the clients’ property as well as taxability and exemption opportunities
As an Associate Consultant in the Real Estate Property Tax consulting practice, you will be integral in all aspects of the annual property tax cycle including valuation, researching market comparables, attending hearings, settlement conferences and value negotiations.
- Analysis of preliminary appraisal and value negotiation
- Representation in protest hearings
- Processing of statements for payment
- Computation and projection of monthly tax estimates
- Diligence review for Acquisitions & Divestitures
- Tax planning and optimization
- Consulting for specialized projects
What you will do:
• Perform detail reviews of asset data and supporting documentation for determining proper valuations for purposes of quantifying tax assessments
• Manipulate and analyze raw data from various databases and systems
• Proactively secure tax abatements and exemptions
• Address complexities and issues that arise from client operations
• Manage the preparation, review and processing of tax documents for clients
• Maintain direct contact with clients and various appraisal districts
• Continuously develop tax expertise, analytical capabilities, and soft skills
What you need to succeed:
• Bachelor degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Information Technology, or Business with at least four years of related property tax experience.
• TDLR license or equivalent RPA is preferred
• Technically proficient in Real Estate tax valuation
• Experience in the Real Estate industry is a plus, but not required.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
• Possesses a fundamental understanding of state tax laws and regulations.
• Demonstrates excellent organizational skills and strong self-motivation. Must be able to work effectively with little day-to-day direction/supervision.
• Able to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects, activities and deadlines.
• Able to use personal computer software proficiently, including spreadsheets, database, word processing and presentation software. Experience working with Excel preferred. Experience with property tax software preferred.
• Able cultivate client relationships and work effectively in a team environment.
• Able to demonstrate and apply superior analytical ability and technical expertise with an ability to provide insightful analysis.
• Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills, strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly, effectively and persuasively.
• Able to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; make effective decisions, identify underlying or hidden problems and patterns and apply creativity and innovative thinking.
• Able to anticipate new situations and/or changing demands and respond proactively.
• Works independently and demonstrates initiative to accomplish goals.
• Some travel out of town, overnight for internal or client meetings and/or conferences
• Able to produce quality work in a fast paced environment with high daily pressure to meet deadlines.
• Able to work irregular hours and overtime as needed or required to meet established deadlines.
About Merit Advisors
Merit Advisors’ business model is centered on building a strong team and developing long-term relationships with our clients. Despite our growth over the past 20+ years, Merit is proud to retain the key characteristics of a boutique firm.
Merit Advisors is a state and local tax consulting firm that works with companies of all sizes: start-ups to multinational to help them minimize tax exposure, maximize tax recovery and capitalize on economic incentives.
Merit takes a holistic approach to every engagement, providing top-tier expertise in each of our practice areas: Property Tax, Sales & Use Tax, Credits & Incentives, Severance Tax, Appraisal & Valuation
In addition to maintaining our client relationships, we are committed to maintaining our very strong culture. Every firm preaches work/life balance, but we will actively work with you to balance client delivery, career development, and your life outside of the office.
Over 350 + clients range from publicly traded corporations to individual small business owners and are serviced by a team that combines engineers, appraisal and valuation experts and seasoned tax and consulting professionals that bring together the perfect balance of high quality and diverse solutions of a larger firm while not foregoing the "high level touch" customer service of a smaller firm.