Tired of the typical public accounting experience? Our business model is centered on building a strong team, and developing long term relationships with our clients. We compete head to head with Big 4 for clients and consistently outperform our competitors by providing a more personal client experience and better team environment.
We are seeking a Transaction Tax Experienced Staff for our Dallas practice who will join our team working with our clients to plan for and manage various sales and use tax issues. This is a consulting position, and your work with us will include assisting clients in a number of various capacities related to sales/use tax matters. Our client projects include tax overpayment reviews, tax liability/exposure analysis, voluntary disclosures, audit support/assistance, tax research and memorandums, developing tax matrices and training programs, tax process reviews, compliance support and tax reserve analysis/calculations.
You will be supported by and work directly with the local Director and Manager and be given the opportunity to develop your technical, analytical and soft skills while working with our clients. You will have an opportunity to learn and grow significantly in this role.
In addition to maintaining our client relationships, we are committed to maintaining your sanity. We will actively work with you to balance client delivery, career development, and your life outside of the office.
What you will do:
• Perform detail reviews of transaction data and supporting documentation to determine proper sales/use taxes due in order to quantify refund claims and/or reductions to audit assessments
• Manipulate and analyze client data from various accounting and reporting systems
• Research tax issues in multiple states and help develop tax planning strategies
• Address complexities and tax technical issues that arise from client operations
• Proactively monitor transaction tax legislative proposals and law changes to ensure clients are aware of potential opportunities/costs
• Continuously develop tax expertise, analytical capabilities, and soft skills
• Contribute significantly to the development of a dynamic and growing consulting practice
What you need to succeed:
• Undergraduate degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Information Technology, or Business with two or more years of experience in indirect tax, with consulting experience preferred. Experience in the energy industry is a plus, but not required
• CPA or CMI preferred
Additional Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
• A fundamental understanding of state and local tax laws and regulations
• Excellent organizational skills and strong self-motivation; must be able to work effectively with minimal direct daily supervision
• Ability to apply your technical expertise to varied client issues/needs and provide creative, insightful analysis
• Ability to research tax issues using CCH/AnswerConnect or other tax research tools
• Ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects, activities and deadlines
• Personal computer software proficiency, including spreadsheets, database, word processing and presentation software. Excel/Access and Powerpoint preferred Experience with indirect tax engines including Vertex, OneSource, Sovos, Avalara, and financial accounting systems such as SAP, Oracle, Microsoft Navision are a plus
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly, effectively and persuasively
• Willing and able to develop client relationships and work effectively in a team environment
• Ability to anticipate new situations and/or changing demands and respond proactively
• Some travel out of town will be required, overnight for internal or client meetings and/or conferences
• Must be able and willing to consistently produce quality work in fast paced environment with daily requirement to meet set deadlines
• Willing and able to occasionally work irregular hours and overtime as needed or required
• This position is based in Dallas, TX and requires office time, some work-from-home and some travel to client locations
Merit Advisors is a team of expert consultants committed to crafting holistic solutions that improve your cash flow and add profit back to your bottom line. With a track record spanning over 20 years, Merit offers deep experience in energy, heavy industry and construction, and works with companies across the commercial sector.