Tired of the typical public accounting experience? Our business model is centered on building a strong team and developing long-term relationships with our clients. We compete head to head with Big 4 for clients and consistently outperform our competitors by providing a more personal client experience and better team environment.
We are seeking a Credits & Incentives Senior in our West Houston Office who will join our team and help clients plan for and manage credit and incentive opportunities.
You will be supported by and work directly with the local principal and director and be given the opportunity to develop your technical, analytical and soft skills while working with our clients. You will learn and experience a lot in this role.
In addition to maintaining our client relationships, we are committed to maintaining your sanity. Every firm preaches work/life balance, but we will actively work with you to balance client delivery, career development, and your life outside of the office.
Your key responsibilities - You’ll contribute to client satisfaction by providing timely and effective responses to client needs and concerns, participate in client meetings, and work within a team environment to deliver fully integrated services to clients through the following:
• Demonstrate an understanding of basic tax credit transaction concepts and actively pursue increased tax knowledge through client assignments and current tax developments
• Be able to effectively apply specific income tax laws to client situations
• Develop and deliver quality and timely services and work products.
• Research complex tax issues and develop practical and effective tax approaches.
Skills and attributes for success
• Demonstrate an ability to learn about different industries, clients, and tax credits or other incentives
• Demonstrate an ability to develop an understanding of complex tax concepts and effectively apply tax knowledge to client situations
• Knowledge of market studies, operating expenses, development and operating pro forma, benefits schedules, tax opinions, the internal revenue code, environmental reports, construction cost reviews and fixed asset listings
• Assist with writing reports to corporate clients in a clear and professional manner
• Develop an understanding of Merit Advisors service offerings and existing client base
• Identify and offer opportunities for Credits and Incentives and additional tax planning opportunities
• Prepare quality, practical approaches to the client's tax situation and arrive at appropriate conclusions
To qualify for the role, you must have:
• A bachelor's degree and pursuing a CPA, JD, or MBA
• 2 or more years’ experience with Economic Development Incentives; “negotiated incentives”; Federal/State incentives; and/or other economic development incentives
• Strong MS Excel skills and proficiency in MS Word and PowerPoint
Ideally, you’ll also have
• Exceptional writing ability, organizational and multitasking skills
• Willingness to travel
• High motivation with the ability to work both independently and in a collaborative setting
• Exposure to tax concepts and the Internal Revenue Code
• Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
What we look for
We’re interested in people who can assist with multiple tax engagements and contribute to the delivery of innovative tax planning ideas for our diverse clients. We’ll look to you to develop strong relationships across a network of existing and future clients, focusing on providing insight and implementing operational efficiencies while demonstrating a solid understanding of their business. If you possess high motivation with the ability to work both independently and in a collaborative setting, this role is for you.
Over 350 + clients range from publicly traded corporations to individual small business owners and are serviced by a team that combines engineers, appraisal and valuation experts and seasoned tax and consulting professionals that bring together the perfect balance of high quality and diverse solutions of a larger firm while not foregoing the "high level touch" customer service of a smaller firm.