Tired of the typical public accounting experience? Our business model is centered on building a strong team, and developing long-term relationships with our clients. We compete head to head with Big 4 for clients and consistently outperform our competitors by providing a more personal client experience and better team environment.
We are seeking a Transaction Tax Senior in our West Houston Office who will join our team and help clients plan for and manage sales and use tax issues. This is a consulting position, and your experiences will include over-payment reviews, exposure analysis, voluntary disclosures, audit assistance, tax research and memorandums, tax matrix and training, process reviews, registrations, compliance, and calculation of tax reserves.
You will be supported by and work directly with the local principal and manager and be given the opportunity to develop your technical, analytical and soft skills while working with our clients. You will learn and experience a lot in this role.
In addition to maintaining our client relationships, we are committed to maintaining your sanity. Every firm preaches work/life balance, but we will actively work with you to balance client delivery, career development, and your life outside of the office.
What you will do:
• Perform detail reviews of transaction data and supporting documentation for determining proper sales/use taxes due for purposes of quantifying refund claims and/or reductions to audit assessments
• Manipulate and analyze raw data from various accounting and reporting systems
• Research tax issues in multiple states and help develop tax planning strategies
• Address complexities and issues that arise from client operations
• Participate in decision making and strategy development for a growing practice
• Proactively monitor transaction tax legislative proposals and law changes to ensure clients are aware of potential opportunities/costs
• Continuously develop tax expertise, analytical capabilities, and soft skills
What you need to succeed:
• Bachelor degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Information Technology, or Business with at least two years of experience in indirect tax, and at least one year at a consulting firm. Experience in the energy industry is a plus, but not required.
• CPA or CMI preferred
Additional Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
• Possesses a fundamental understanding of state tax laws and regulations.
• Demonstrates excellent organizational skills and strong self-motivation. Must be able to work effectively with little day-to-day direction/supervision.
• Able to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects, activities and deadlines.
• Able to use personal computer software proficiently, including spreadsheets, database, word processing and presentation software. Deep experience working with Excel or Access, PowerPoint preferred. Experience with indirect tax engines including Vertex, OneSource, Sovos, Avalara, and Financial accounting systems such as SAP, Oracle, Microsoft Navision, a plus.
• Able cultivate client relationships and work effectively in a team environment.
• Able to demonstrate and apply superior analytical ability and technical expertise with an ability to provide insightful analysis.
• Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills, strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly, effectively and persuasively.
• Able to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; make effective decisions, identify underlying or hidden problems and patterns and apply creativity and innovative thinking.
• Able to anticipate new situations and/or changing demands and respond proactively.
• Ability to research tax issues through the use of RIA or other tax research tools.
• Works independently and demonstrates initiative to accomplish goals.
• Some travel out of town, overnight for internal or client meetings and/or conferences
• Able to produce quality work in a fast paced environment with high daily pressure to meet deadlines.
• Able to work irregular hours and overtime as needed or required to meet established deadlines.
• This position is currently based in our West Houston Office (LaCenterra at Cinco Ranch, in Katy) but will require some travel to client locations. As the practice grows, our office location may change.
Over 350 + clients range from publicly traded corporations to individual small business owners and are serviced by a team that combines engineers, appraisal and valuation experts and seasoned tax and consulting professionals that bring together the perfect balance of high quality and diverse solutions of a larger firm while not foregoing the "high level touch" customer service of a smaller firm.