Job Responsibilities: Understands, promotes and follows the Mission and Guiding Values of Petersburg Medical Center. Assures quality care through referral coordination, appointments, support and patient services through the following responsibilities:
o Maintain an accurate record of external referral patient’s appointments that are kept, failed, and current status in the Referral Tracking System or EMR; Monitor Referral Tracking System or EMR for outstanding and follow-up with the appropriate provider.
o Call and/or fax facilities to follow up on referrals, requesting visit dates and records. Schedule follow-up appointments with primary care providers.
Cross Train for Referral Coordinator: Temporary relief coverage for the Clinic Referral Coordinator: maintain all referrals when referral coordinator is out of the office.
• Assist referral coordinator in compiling, submitting and scanning referrals.
• Contact insurance companies to request prior authorizations for referrals.
• Assists PMC patients in obtaining appointments with specialists and those acquiring special medical procedures.
• Schedule, problem solve, communicate, and coordinate referral appointments with outside specialists.
• Notifies providers of specialties.
• Arranges Medicaid patient transport for referrals.
• Respond to in-house provider questions, requests and concerns regarding the status of patient referrals, care coordination or follow-up status.
o Assists with clinic medical records release requests. Must understand and follow medical records and HIPAA guidelines.
• A signed release of information form must be received for all requests to copy charts.
• Attorneys, State of Alaska, disability claims and insurance companies are charged for copying charts and for postage.
• Electronic medical records and paper charts make requested copies and complete charge sheet.
• Copy of charge sheet goes to billing office along with a copy of release form.
• Obtaining and scanning of medical records.
o Assists in handling clerical duties in the clinic and other duties as assigned.
o Will be cross trained to fill in for receptionist and front desk positions, answering phones and appointment scheduling.
o Back up receptionist, referral coordinator, medical records and/or insurance prior-authorizations.
Education: Two years experience in a health care environment preferred, but not required. Computer experience helpful, especially MS excel, MS word, MS Outlook. Type minimum of 40 wpm preferred.
o Able to deal with high demand, fast paced, multi departmental hospital needs. The individual must be highly organized and task oriented.
o Must possess the ability to prioritize responsibilities and handle multiple requests simultaneously.
o Must like to work with people and receptive to dealing with people who are ill, injured or upset. A calm, caring, professional attitude and excellent phone etiquette are essential. Basic medical knowledge is helpful.
o Must be able to communicate well with co-workers and patients. Must maintain a professional relationship with staff, patients at all times.
To Apply: Applications available at PMC's website www.pmcak.org
Petersburg Medical Center is a 27-bed hospital, 15 long term care and 12 acute care beds with an Outpatient Clinic, ER, Rehab, Home Health, Lab and Imaging departments.
Located in beautiful Southeast Alaska, in the town of Petersburg, is an opportunity for you to come and enjoy! The town of 3000 boasts the serene beauty of a small town founded by Norwegian-American fisherman in the late 1800’s with vast mountains and ocean right outside your window.