Salary: $13.70 - $17.58 DOQ
Position Type: Part Time
Opening Date: October 14, 2021
Closing Date: October 31, 2021
Performs a wide variety of working level firefighting duties related to protecting life and property of City residents. May be required to drive and operate fire apparatus.
Works under the close supervision of the Fire Chief or Fire Captains.
• Operates under State and National guidelines; maintains required State certifications
• Drives and operates ambulance or other apparatus as assigned.
• Administers emergency medical treatment when performing as a certified Advanced EMT
• Accurately completes written and verbal reports on patient care.
• Performs a thorough, daily inspection and pump check of the apparatus to which he/she is
assigned; notifies station officer of any condition requiring repair or maintenance; insures
that the inventory of supplies and equipment is complete; assures that apparatus,
equipment, and records are maintained and in good order.
• Comprehends and documents complete and accurate patient histories. Participates in various drills and training sessions.
• Checks medications and equipment daily to ensure proper control and inventory.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS CONT.
• Participates in firefighting duties as assigned and according to the Advanced EMT/Firefighter’s
certification level as described in the minimum qualifications section and duties as
outlined in the Firefighter I or II description.
• Lays hose lines, operates nozzles, pumps and hydrants; utilizes fire extinguishers and
performs other actions to suppress fire; operates hydraulic, pneumatic, manual and power
• Participates in drills and training evolutions as directed.
• Participates in salvage operation and post fire operations; uses salvage covers, floor
runners and other related equipment to reduce property damage from heat, smoke, fire,
gases, and water.
• Participates in fire and life safety inspections of commercial and residential properties;
checks operating condition of hydrants.
• Required to transfer, lift and move patients while employing appropriate safety and lifting
• Participates in public education programs in schools, civic groups and other locations as
• Participates in daily physical activity and yearly testing.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Education and Experience:
A. Graduation from high school or equivalent:
2. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Working knowledge of firefighting methods, techniques, and procedures; firefighting equipment types and varieties and their most appropriate and effective use; equipment and maintenance and care; state and city codes, laws, and regulations, and ordinances related to fire prevention; fire vehicle equipment; emergency medical techniques and procedures and first-aid; interpersonal communication skills.
Ability to follow detailed verbal or written work instruction; work in dangerous emergency situations; perform strenuous physical labor; communicate effectively, verbally and in writing; assimilate modern fire prevention and firefighting skills; perform under extreme weather conditions; work on-call and on-shift work; develop effective working relationships with supervisors, fellow employees, and the public.
3. Special Qualifications:
Must possess a valid Driver License.
Must be State Firefighter I and II certified .
Must be Utah Advanced EMT.
Must be hazmat Operations and Awareness certified
4. Work Environment:
Functions of the position generally performed in a controlled environment, but subject to all seasonal and weather extremes. Emergency response travel expected in normal course of performing duties. Many functions of the work pose high degree of hazard uncertainty. Physical readiness and conditioning may be a condition of job retention. Various levels of mental application required, i.e., memory for details, emotional stability, discriminating thinking, creative problem solving; and continuous use of motor skills.
Veteran's Preference Points: Applicants MUST submit a copy of their DD-214 with their application and before the closing date in order to receive veteran's points. This is for initial appointments only.
Riverdale City is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants
selected for employment with the city shall be required to take a
drug and alcohol test with negative results and a background check
as a pre-condition of employment.
Riverdale City is located in northern Utah.