Education / Certification
: High school graduate or GED. Required Knowledge
: As determined by client support assessments (can be trained on-the-job) while providing direct support or training staff.Experience Required
: None. CNA, UNA, HHA, PCA experience beneficial, but not required. On the job training provided.Skills / Abilities
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Ability to pass a successful Department of Human Services Background Study.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to independently pass medication to clients (18 years or older).
- Ability to read, write and speak English in order to effectively communicate with clients, coworkers and fellow service providers.
- Demonstrates relational values and skills sufficient to establish therapeutic relationships with Developmentally Disabled and Mentally Ill clients as well as to respectfully interact with coworkers and supervisors.
- Able to use sound judgment in assessing and responding to behavioral and medical emergencies.
- Strong organizational & time management skills.
- Able to listen, learn, follow directions and generalize prior learning to new situations.
- A strong desire to help others; clients and coworkers, succeed.
- Basic computer (email, internet) and keyboarding skills.
Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) provide Essential Care to vulnerable individuals; this means that without the care, the individual’s safety, health, or welfare is in jeopardy. Due to the serious nature of Essential Care, successful performance is measured and evaluated by the following and other areas of professionalism:
- Attendance & Punctuality – Excessive attendance events may result in disciplinary action, up to and including suspension or dismissal. Attendance Events include absence and tardy/leave early.
- Quality of Care – Knowledge and understanding of duties, and high level of competence in skills
- Dedication to Service – Strong personal motivation to place other’s needs ahead of one’s own needs and interests while understanding professional boundaries.
- Respect, Responsibility, and Safety – Adherence to the rules of building and maintaining healthy, strong relationships.
- Personal & Professional Growth – Commitment to company training, in-services, and clinical supervision. Direct Support Professionals will also be responsible to learn and master additional duties as assigned and will also be expected to embrace new opportunities for learning and growth.
- Direct Client Support: The DSP attends to all personal client care including: changing briefs, bathing, nail cares, shaving, dressing, grooming and skin care as required. The DSP is also responsible for implementing each client’s Client Support Plan as well as individualized program objectives and relational/behavioral support plans.
- Household maintenance: DSP staff is responsible for implementing the Home Support Plan for their assigned residence in order to ensure for each client a home environment which is clean, pleasant, and comfortable. DSP duties include all routine housekeeping tasks, minor maintenance concerns, meal preparation, stocking of supplies, receiving all telephone calls and documenting messages. In winter, outside walkways must be kept clear of snow for wheelchair and foot traffic access.
- Professionalism: Charting and documentation must be attended to with professional diligence. Continuing education, in-services, and regularly scheduled staff meeting attendance is required. SCS DSPs are responsible to understand and adhere to all SCS Policies and Procedures and to also present themselves to the community-at-large in a manner that best reflects the values of Synstelien Community Services.
- Attendance and punctuality: Scheduled direct support shifts are completed responsibly; on time for each shift start, and each shift is completed entirely.
- Charting for direct support shifts is completed per policy.
- Clinical services are performed in adherence to each clients support plan.
- Adherence to all policies and procedures as they are plainly understood.
- Attendance at Team meetings and training as scheduled.