Self-Help Enterprises has an opening for a Community Development Specialist, based out of our Visalia or Madera office, with an emphasis on helping rural, low-income communities in obtaining safe drinking water and sanitary disposal systems.
Community Development Specialists work closely with low-income, rural residents to assist them in the development and management of community facilities. CD Specialists also assist communities in participating in regional water management and groundwater sustainability planning. It is a necessary function of this position to serve in an advocacy and technical assistance role regarding the needs of rural, low-income people for safe, adequate water and wastewater facilities.
- Conduct community surveys, needs assessments and related research to obtain community information and determine facilities needs and deficiencies.
- Research and package loan and grant applications, and administer funds
- Work with the community, water and sewer boards, and engineers to facilitate project planning and development
- Assist small, rural communities in complying with technical, managerial, and financial requirements necessary to properly operate water and wastewater systems.
- Educate disadvantaged communities (DACs) on the Integrated Regional Water Management Program and the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA)
- Attend IRWM and Groundwater Sustainability Agency (GSA) meetings to inform IRWM groups and GSAs of DAC needs in the region/facilitate DAC participation
- Attend community and Board meetings (some nights and weekends) to listen and to provide project technical assistance.
- Four-year college degree or equivalent work experience
- Ability to work with farmworker, low-income, and other community groups
- Ability to manage technical aspects of field work and grant writing
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage time and work tasks with a minimum of supervision
- Ability to work effectively with public and private agency officials
PLEASE NOTE: California applicants, DO NOT include past salary information in the "previous work experience" section. We are working to remove this language from the application.
Self-Help Enterprises is a nationally recognized community development organization whose mission is to work together with low-income families to build and sustain healthy homes and communities. In the last 50+ years, Self-Help Enterprises’ efforts have touched the lives of over 50,000 families.
Equal Opportunity Employer