Job Description General Function: Receives product from outside shippers, Packaging and Repack departments. Stores product in zero storage warehouse. Retrieves product and stages product for shipping. Supplies Repack operation with product and receives and stores finished product from Repack. Prepares associated paperwork according to Company policies.
Supervised By: Under the direction of the Cold Storage Supervisor and Foreperson.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following: *Second Class Operators are required to have the ability to perform at least one, but not all three functions of Staging, Loading or Repack operation as described below in 4, 5 and 6.
1. Safely operates industrial lift trucks while retrieving and storing product.
2. Records storage location/information on appropriate forms and delivers records to appropriate office personnel.
3. Completes the Shipping Order/Delivery Ticket and delivers to appropriate office personnel.
4. Prepares and stages orders according to specification. Ensures proper inventory rotation and that product has been released for shipping.
5. Loads and unloads product from trucks and railcars. Completes necessary records.
6. Retrieves bulk product from zero storage warehouse for use in Repack operation and takes finished product from Repack to proper storage location. Moves and places product in various areas of Repack as directed.
7. Inspects equipment daily and notifies supervisor of need for maintenance and repairs.
8. Changes batteries in electric lift trucks and operates battery charger. Maintains record of battery activities.
9. Refuels propane operated lift trucks.
10. Ensures that work areas are clean and safe.
MARGINAL DUTIES: 1. Complies with and assists with the implementation of the Company’s Safety and Food Safety Programs.
2. Takes on the responsibilities of the Cold Storage Supervisor as necessary during absences, vacations etc.
3. Operates a forklift when necessary to assist crew with the completion of an assignment.
4. Performs other duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties, described above, in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability necessary. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Less than High school diploma or GED; and two or more years experience and/or training as a forklift operator or equivalent combination of education and experience.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Must possess the ability to read and understand simple instructions, short correspondence, shipping documents and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence, complete forms and to present information to other employees or groups of employees as needed.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to use commonsense to carry out instructions provided in written, verbal or diagram form.
CERTIFICATION/LICENSES: Passed the Smith Frozen Foods written and driving forklift tests.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made in order to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to handle, finger or feel objects, tools and controls, reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or bend over. The employee is routinely required to talk or hear.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those that the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Personal Protective Equipment is required and includes: protective head gear (bump cap) and Company approved hearing protection. A hair net is also required.
While performing this job the employee is frequently required to work near moving mechanical equipment and is frequently exposed to zero cold storage temperatures, wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The employee is occasionally required to work in high, precarious places and in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold and heat and risk of electrical shock.
****This position may qualify for an End of Season Bonus.
About Smith Frozen Foods, Inc Smith Frozen Foods is a family owned company started in 1919 by Albert Smith. Through the generations the company was eventually purchased by Gordon and Sharon Smith. With a desire to keep the business with the family Gordon left his law career, rolled up his sleeves, and brought a successful company to a whole new level. With increased productivity and cold storage Smith Frozen Foods now produces over 130 million pounds of product specializing in peas, corn, carrots, and lima beans. With a processing facility that is in nature’s back yard we are able to bring these wonderful vegetables from ground to freezer in minimal time preserving the freshness you deserve.