POSITION TITLE: Licensed Practical Nurse
REPORTS TO: Director of Nursing, Registered Nurse
The LPN performs a variety of nursing duties in the care of home care clients, complies with state rules and regulations, and follows established policies and procedures of the home care agency. Must be able to relate professionally with residents, staff and family members, display a positive work attitude and be able to work as a team with other staff members. The LPN will assist with training of staff in medical procedures and policies.
• Graduate of school of nursing for Licensed Practical Nurse.
• Must be registered and licensed with the State of Minnesota as an LPN, and must maintain current unencumbered license with the MN Board of Nursing.
• Prefer at least 1 year experience in home care or long term care.
• Working knowledge of the state requirements for the Comprehensive Home Care license and LPN scope of practice.
• Excellent judgment and decision-making abilities and problem solving skills and the ability to work independently.
• Must demonstrate leadership, good judgment, and dependability.
• Maintain confidentiality for residents and staff.
• Must be knowledgeable and accurate in the administration of medications and treatments.
• Must be flexible in dealing with changing situations and be willing to expand and adapt to changes in the Assisted Living industry.
• Willing to promote St. Ann’s positively in the community.
• Ability to use computers and electronic records.
• Ability to effectively communicate in English, both verbally and in writing.
• Must be able to read, comprehend and follow instructions and work with accuracy in all job activities.
• Will be required to work weekends and holidays.
• Must be able to deal tactfully and use good communication, listening and customer service skills with residents and their families and with staff. Must be mature and remain calm with clients/staff/ families in difficult and unusual circumstances.
• Must be knowledgeable about validation techniques, reality orientation and/or appropriate diversional activities for clients with dementia.
• Must work as a team member and maintain a positive demeanor.
• Promotes a positive, team approach and a healthy work environment.
• Assures that staff clearly understands and follows all resident care procedures.
• Must receive a “not disqualified” criminal background result from Department of Human Services and may not be on the OIG exclusions list.
• Must be screened for TB.
• Must have reliable transportation.
• All employees are required to complete a thorough physical assessment through Essentia Health Occupational Medicine within 30 days of hire and authorize the release of this information to St. Ann’s.
• Works under the direction of the Director of Nursing and the RN to monitor residents’ needs and changes in condition, conducting focused assessments when appropriate and reporting the results to the RN.
• Assures that unlicensed staff members perform their duties and responsibilities in a timely, quality manner, and reports problems to RN.
• Reports changes in client condition or other concerns about clients to the RN in a timely manner.
• Initiates emergency procedures for clients and reports to RN.
• Reviews client care plans developed by the RN and consults with RN about client conditions and their treatments.
• Carries out proper charting practices and documentation procedures. May include electronic charting. Basic computer knowledge is essential.
• Assembles and operates equipment such as oxygen supplies and other equipment used for client care.
• Orders and administers medications.
• Assists DON in orienting, training and mentoring new staff.
• Attends required meetings, and mandatory annual in-service training.
• Performs delegated tasks and other duties as assigned by the RCS Supervisor and RN.
• Consults with RN regarding unlicensed staff performance problems.
• Assists unlicensed staff as necessary in performing their duties
St. Ann's is an assisted living community in Duluth, MN.