The Director of Operations coordinates all regional administrative functions, enforces corporate policy, procedures, and operating systems for Regional Operations and Managerial Staff. Creating, maintaining, and nurturing the relationship with our client(s) will also be critical to this role. The Director of Operations will need to have the foresight to mitigate potential issues that could arise with the client: staffing for all assigned locations, damages and safety, and to mentor key management members to best utilize resources at each location. Also, advising the Vice President of Operations of concerns and potential issues, and the advised solutions while maximizing efficiency and improving profitability for assigned region. Strategically networks with an urgency around company growth opportunities in and out of their region.
The ideal candidate will be able to travel up to 30-40% of the time, or as needed by clients and operational needs. It is critical for this person to have a strong presence onsite for customer and employee accessibility, and in order to proactively implement operational goals throughout departments. Universal Chain seeks A-players who want to be part of the overall creative energy and to personally contribute to the value system, innovations, and success of the Company. This role is best suited for someone who can think outside of the box for creative solutions and is ready for an intense, committed, and exciting experience with constant company growth in mind.
* Manage the daily operation activities of your assigned Operational Region:
* Quality Control and Assurance of operational duties * Nurturing client relationship through daily interaction and building a team that will produce strong and consistent results * Continuous development with transitioning individuals, teams, and our organization to our desired future state * Working knowledge of Scorecard KPI’s to ensure results are on track with Company objectives * Managing all other Logistics and Distribution aspects of day-to-day operations at the warehouse level * Drive company growth opportunities
Implement the goals and objective for your Operational Region:
* In alignment with the Company’s vision and strategy, while staying within agreed budgets and time-frames * Being accountable for accurate Turn Time/Truck record keeping, and as it pertains to the payroll of employees for your particular region * Continuously improving procedures and effectively communicating changes to staff so performance results are optimized for the client(s) * Constantly maximizing efficiency and improving profitability for assigned region * Diagnosing problems and devising effective solutions * Manage a team to create a culture of high performance and continuous improvement:
* Planning and directing staff on a daily basis, advising Operation Managers how to best utilize their staff * Developing staff, especially management, by using a supportive and collaborative approach: assigning accountabilities, setting clear objectives, establishing priorities, and monitoring & evaluating results. * Encourage learning & development by ensuring coordination with Human Resources is effective in order to get relevant and timely training for all associates * Fostering an environment that promotes commitment to quality and excellence * Work closely with other functional managers to contribute to the overall success of the Company
In addition to relevant education and sufficient experience to manage an Operational Region of the Company, this role will require the following skills:
* Operational excellence * Strong problem solving ability * Strong mentoring, coaching experience * Superior management skills * Ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports * Ability to work well with other Directors, Operation Managers, line staff, and the client(s) management * Ability to operate as an effective tactical and strategic thinker * Ability to prepare and present operational data and reports for senior company officials and client(s) * High level of computer skills: Excel, Word, Outlook, and Turn Time * Strong organizational skills * Ability to handle a dynamic and multi-faceted and demanding environment * Ability to work well under pressure * Ability to be adaptable and agile with changing environments
Basic Job Requirements:
* Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or equivalent work experience in managerial roles * At least 7 years experience in a management/operational role in a high volume distribution environment * Proven ability to measure and perform against internal expectations, industry standards, and safety related programs * Ability and willingness to be hands on with daily warehouse operations as needed * Working knowledge of OSHA requirements, as it pertains to assigned regional locations * Working knowledge and previous experience with warehouse and mechanical equipment * Very strong analytical and communication skills * Able to communicate to both English and Spanish speaking employees
Physical Requirements & Work Environment:
* Must be able to work in varying facility conditions * Ability and availability to work irregular or extended hours, including nights, weekends, and/or some holidays as needed by the customer * May be on-call if problems arise during off work hours * Must be able to walk/stand for up to 10-12 hours per day/shift * Ability to lift 50 pounds * Regular bending, lifting, stretching, and reaching both below the waist and above the head * Ability to walk Distribution Centers with great frequency; facilities are sometimes a quarter mile or longer in length * Should be able to work in environments with variable noise levels, lighting conditions and temperature variation and able to access all areas of the building without limitations