A pediatric dental hygienist encourages oral hygiene and teaches proper dental care to children, adolescents and young adult dental patients. The challenge of working with kids is always present, especially when kids are afraid of the situations they might face when visiting a dentist. You may have to calm down children. Your other duties can include examining patients for oral diseases, assessing children's needs, and recognizing the signs of child abuse and neglect.
Dental Hygienist Job Duties: • Prepares treatment room for patient by adhering to prescribed procedures and protocols.
• Prepares patient for dental hygiene treatment by welcoming, soothing, seating, and draping patient.
• Provides information to patients and employees by answering questions and requests.
• Maintains instrumentation for dental hygiene treatment by sharpening, sterilizing, and selecting instruments.
• Selects materials and equipment for dental hygiene visit by evaluating patient's oral health.
• Completes dental prophylaxis by cleaning deposits and stains from teeth and from beneath gum margins.
• Detects disease by completing oral cancer screening; feeling and visually examining gums; exposing and developing radiographic studies.
• Arrests dental decay by applying fluorides and other cavity- preventing agents.
• Maintains patient appearance and ability to masticate by fabricating temporary restorations; cleaning and polishing removable appliances; removing cement from crowns and bridges.
• Helps dentist manage dental and medical emergencies by maintaining CPR certification, emergency drugs and oxygen supply, and directory of emergency numbers.
• Educates patients by giving oral hygiene and plaque control instructions and postoperative instructions; providing reminders of time of next dental hygiene visit.
• Documents dental hygiene services by recording vital signs and medical and dental histories; charting in patient records.
• Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
• Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
• Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
• Ensures operation of dental equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
• Maintains dental supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
• Conserves dental resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
• Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
• Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
• You may also administer anesthesia to children in the form of Novocain and nitrous oxide.
About World Pediatric Dental We are a new, contemporary, state-of-the-art pediatric dental practice located in the heart of Stone Oak, San Antonio.
We are fiercely dedicated and will work tirelessly to provide excellent outcomes using the best methodology.
We use the latest technology to provide an excellent experience for both employees and patients.