Bittersweet Farms, a world-renowned leader in serving adults and adolescents with autism located in Whitehouse, Ohio, is seeking a Direct Support Professional – Creative Arts Specialist to assist with development and implementation of the creative arts programs and arts therapy programs. The position will be responsible to provide skills assessment and enhancement based on each participant’s individual needs. He or she must work to ensure the health and safety of participants while providing an environment that fosters both growth and development. A successful candidate will work closely with all other program specialists to create and establish programs that meet the needs of the day program participants. The Creative Arts Specialist will continue to assist with any and all direct support needs within the organization.
Responsibilities for the position include:
● Possess understanding and knowledge of creative arts programs as well as the ability to be innovative with projects and activities
● Act as a liaison to the Staffing Manager by reporting any staff or participant issues promptly
● Maintaining production of Art products as well as facilitation coordinating all aspects of the creative arts efforts at Bittersweet including but not limited to ceramics, pottery, weaving, painting, hand crafts, and other creative arts projects
● Promote communication, choice, independence, socialization, and self-control for the participants in all areas of their residential, vocational, and leisure programs
● Maintain activity schedule for community outreach trips
● Assign and arrange tasks and activities within the area to meet programmatic needs
● Maintain inventory records and needs for the creative arts area
The right candidate must have 2 or more years of experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities/autism, experience with creating plans and activity schedules preferred, High School Diploma or GED is required, experience with developing and teaching creative arts classes/workshops preferred, and a valid driver’s license with eligibility to be insured.
• Benefit package includes medical, dental, vision, paid disability and life insurance, personal time off, 401K with company match, and 11 paid holidays.
• 18% cell phone carrier employee discount
• Assistance with getting reliable transportation, child care, affordable housing, food assistance program, counseling, learning basic computer skills, budgeting assistance, credit counseling and several other opportunities through the Employee Resource Network with a success coach
Help us redefine what is possible with Autism. Bittersweet, Inc. is a non-profit organization that provides residential, vocational, and recreational services to individuals with autism in a farmstead setting. For the past 34 years, we have found that a farm setting offers rich, varied, and abundant opportunities for self-paced, distraction-free activities that are perceived as immediately meaningful by our participants.
We are seeking full-time and part-time employees to help enrich lives and make a difference. Our employees positively impact the lives of individuals with disabilities through teaching, mentoring, and partnering in meaningful activities and positive social interactions.