Though most job candidates would consider the interview as getting your foot through the door, the resume is just as important because it’s literally what opens that proverbial door. As a result, job seekers must think like an employer when crafting their next resume. Here are some helpful resume tips for job hunters.
Resume Tips for Job Hunters
You’ve heard it hundreds of times before: each resume must be tailored for each position.
It’s TRUE! In reading the job description and requirements, you can align your relevant skills and accomplishments. This strategy will achieve addressing technical skills for a job, like content writing or programming – but what about resume tips for job hunters addressing the other skills desired by employers?
In a recent report by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE), hundreds of employers took part in the Job Outlook Survey 2020, and the findings concluded that employers look for evidence of these FIVE skills on a resume:
- Working on a Team. Consider including relevant projects or contributions created by you and your fellow coworkers or classmates.
- Leadership. List a leadership position (maybe within a club or professional organization) and accomplishments made from the position’s responsibilities.
- Written Communication. Incorporate relevant writing experience you have had in a position, whether writing blog entries or journalistic articles. If your experiences have not allowed for much writing, consider starting your own blog.
- Problem-Solving. This is where you want to include quantitative data. Some examples to list include if you saved time or money by making a process more efficient, handling a crisis, or gaining more clients than last year.
- Strong Work Ethic. This can be exuded from your resume if crafted to list accomplishments rather than responsibilities. It’s about the quality, not quantity, of work you have done.
These things should definitely be included in a resume, and we are confident that if you look hard enough, you will find examples that will satisfy each category. Happy Hiring!
Read this article for additional resume samples.
Ninja Gig lets businesses post jobs online via our proprietary job posting software. Companies that need online recruitment will save time and money using the Applicant Tracking System (ATS), which lets you easily accept job applications and track job applicants. One of the best employer job posting sites online, Ninja Gig automatically posts your online job posting to major job boards, including job posting on Indeed, ZipRecruiter and many more. If you’re interested in saving time and money, check out Ninja Gig’s FREE 14-day trial today!