Whether you’re hiring for part-time summer help or an executive for a corporation, there are 10 employment tips that everyone needs to be familiar with, follow and abide by.
- Hire qualified applicants, train them to improve their skills and discipline or fire for documented causes.
- Never try to avoid paying payroll taxes, completing new hire paperwork or classifying workers as temporary or contract labor to avoid paying unemployment. If you don’t want to pay these taxes or deal with this paperwork, hire employees through a temporary staffing agent so they can process this paperwork.
- When conducting the new hire employment process, have new employees sign all necessary paperwork. Some states require that new hires and even rehires be reported to the Attorney General’s New Hire Reporting office within 20 days.
- It’s important to maintain a safe, healthy workplace that complies with OSHA rules and regulations. It’s important to keep the hiring, evaluation, promotion, transfer, discipline and discharge of employees fair, consistent and job-related. It is illegal to retaliate against employees that report workplace discrimination, safety hazards or other employment law issues.
- Have wages in writing with employees. For any specific wage deductions that are not authorized by law or court ordered, it is best to get written authorization from employees.
- Unless an employee is clearly a salaried employee and not subject to overtime wages, always default to hourly wages to avoid potential legal issues.
- Never advance money or make a loan to an employee without a written receipt and signed repayment agreement.
- If changing any pay or benefits, provide the employee with as much notice in writing as possible.
- Treat employees fairly and consistently to help avoid unnecessary claims and lawsuits.
- If addressing an unemployment claim, file everything promptly, present detailed documentation about policies, warnings and other pertinent facts and provide testimony from firsthand witnesses, if necessary.
By following these helpful employment tips, your company can be on the way to having a successful hiring process and retain more long-term employees.
Ninja Gig offers the ease of using online employment applications to help facilitate hiring qualified applicants. These online job applications are easy to customize so companies can add any necessary legal language to make sure they comply with state and federal laws. If you are interested in trying out our software for free, sign up for a 14-day free trial today!